Worked up some new textures for the second casting. Now starting to get a sense of the possible multitude of arms/tentacles. See my instagram for test images of the tentacles with disco fairy lights inside!
Exciting day – first cast off the new 150cm mould. I loved how the inverted cast looked like a mini-boobscape, it’s fantastic when the work has resonances with previous works. The cast was easily demoulded with just a little split at the base, and at 150cm has quite a presence. The texture is subtle and yet evocative. Now time to start making more – it takes a minimum of a week to make a cast, and each will be individualised along the way. Hoping to amass a large number of them to play around with install possibilities.
Over the last hot week or so I’ve made up the large (150cm) and small (50cm) Plasticine moulds – now to start painting on the latex layers for the casts. Reading ‘The Case Against Octopus Farming’ and watching videos of people drying octopus in the sun … despite, or because of, the wonderful things I have been reading about octopuses – I have ended up looking at how we exploit, use and consume these wonderful animals.
First work in progress test casts. As part of my new propositional sculpture installation bloodlines – I’m starting to test out various molds for swatches of fanciful ‘skins’. These ones feature suckers, valves and scales. The suckers casts are double-dipping for my new research into octopuses, using the teats/nipple molds from boobscape to create the mold (I have some larger ones in progress).